Chronicle of MENG HAI tea factory

(Source: https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5%8B%90%E6%B5%B7%E8%8C%B6%E5%8E%82/10894931?fr=aladdin)

“勐海茶厂 Meng Hai Tea Factory” belongs to TAE TEA group, traditionally known as “大益 DA YI “.

  • In 1910 year, Qing dynasty helped the Chief Chieftain of Che Li Xuan Wei Si (a region name) suppress the war between Chieftains of Meng Hai sub-region and Meng Zhe sub-region. Both were in territory of Che Li Xuan Wei Si . In the same year, business man of Han ethnic Zhang Tangjie opened the first tea store in Meng Hai.  At that time, the harvest of puerh tea was around 100’000 kg/year, and all were transported to Puerh City(also called Si Mao in past) to be processed. Since 1923 year, many people went to Meng Hai to open stores and press tea products for exporting via the new roads via Myanmar and India.
  • In the beginning of 1939 year, the newly found “The Yunnan Tea Corporation” sent Mr. Fan Hejun and Zhang Shicheng to Meng Hai (called Fo Hai at that time) to investigate the tea production and trading situation and the intention was to found a new tea experimental factory for producing 5’000 cartons tea each year.  In the same year, they successfully produced some kinds of tea including white tea, black tea, green tea and others under the help from local tea men and students.
  • In 1940 year, “China Tea Trading Corporation Fo Hai Experimental Factory ” was started and Mr. Fan Hejun was the 1st Director.  This tea factory was the predecessor of “Meng Hai tea factory” in nowadays.
  • In 1941 year, Fo Hai tea factory mainly produced CTC black tea. And they purchased many pressed tight tea products from private manufactures during that time. From the Autumn of 1941 year to the Spring of 1942 year, Fo Hai tea factory purchased tea over 12’000 DAN(600’000kg) and exported them to abroad.
  • In 1942 year, Fo Hai tea factory was bombed by intruder of Japanese army. Many staffs retreated to safe places and only a few left to take care of factory and equipment.
  • In 1943 year, Fo Hai tea factory produced high-end white tea around 159kg.
  • In 1945 year,  a part of tight tea products were sold to another tea factory called “Ding Xing Hao”.
  • In 1946 year, over 100’000kg of tight tea products were sold to Heng Sheng Gong in Si Mao and then these tea were resold to Tibet.
  • In March of 1950 year, Fo Hai tea factory was taken control by Fo Hai county temporary people goverment and nationalized from then on. At that time, Fo Hai tea factory had a building of three floors, two buildings of two floors. a 25KW generator, a 18 KW generator, a 24 KW generator, a 2 KW generator, a tea baking machine, a rolling machine and some others.
  • In 1951 year, Yunnan provincial tea department sent some people to Fo Hai tea factory to prepare for restarting tea production and it finally started from the next year and mainly concentrated on black tea. The factory name was also changed to “China Tea Corporation Fo Hai tea factory”. Since the Sep.14th,  “China Tea Co., Ltd.” registered “中茶 zhong cha” as trademark and ordered all national tea companies to use it on their products. Except the tea sold to Tibet, all other products were covered by “Zhong Cha” brand in Fo Hai tea factory. Before 1984 year, all the tea products for export or the most for domestic consuming produced by Meng Hai tea factory should be sent to Kun Ming and there Yunnan Provincial Tea Department distributed that according to national plan.
  • In Sep. 1953 year, “Fo Hai tea factory” changed name again to “China Tea Industry Corporation Xishuanbanna Tea Factory” and combined with Nannuo shan tea factory which mainly produced black tea at that time.
  • In Apr. 1954 year, it was changed name again to “Yunnan Tea Industry Corporation Xishuangbanna Tea Factory”. It produced tight tea and green tea.
  • In Feb. 1956 year, it was changed name again to “Si Mao Special Region Meng Hai tea factory”. “China Tea Co.,Ltd” was changed name to “China Tea Export Corporation”. Tight tea or green Mao Cha were sent to Guangdong Provincial Tea Corporation for reblending and export.
  • In 1957 year, “Meng Hai Tea Factory” changed processing machine and raised much production ability.
  • In 1958 year, to solve the difficulty on transportation, Meng Hai tea factory steamed Mao Cha tea materials to large chunk. After KunMing tea factory and XiaGuan tea factory received these large chunks, they would steamed that again for breaking.
  • In 1959 year, Meng Hai tea factory developed some new series like “Meng Hai Square Tea” “Puerh Square Tea” “Meng Hai Tuo Tea” and “Meng Hai Brick Tea” etc.
  • In Jan. 1961 year, Meng Hai Tea Factory was changed to another name “Meng Hai County Tea Factory”. In the same year, “China Tea Export Corporation” was also changed name to “CHINA TUHSU”。
  • In Jan. 1963 year, it was changed name again to “Yunnan Province Meng Hai Tea Factory”.
  • In 1964 year, the Vice Director of Meng Hai tea factory, Zhou Peirong participated in the technological investigation of Survey on large leaf tea in Yunnan and how to make high quality black tea using large leaf tea from Yunnan.
  • In 1966 year, the “Yunnan Province Tea Corporation” belonged to “CHINA TUHSU” was founded.
  • In 1967 year, Meng Hai Tea Factory changed the “Heart Shape” tight tea to “Long Brick” tight tea using “Zhong Cha” brand.
  • From 1972 year, many “Yunnan Thi Tse Bing Cha” were produced from that time.
  • In 1974 year, it produced fermented ripe puerh tea 300kg and gradually raised year by year. Because of the neck of technology on fermentation, high-end loose ripe tea including 3rd to 6th grade tea were not satisfied on liquid color and fermented taste by foreign buyers, so these teas were exported as “Yunnan Qing”.
  • In 1976 year, The No. 84/45 file published by Yunnan Export Tea Industry  definited some serial No. for puerh tea produced by Meng Hai tea factory. Like 7572, 7682 etc. The initial two numbers are the birth year of the blend recipe. The next is the grade of loose Mao Cha. The last one is the number of each tea factory. Kun Ming tea factory is No.1, Meng Hai tea factory is No.2, Xia Guan tea factory is No.3 and Pu Er tea factory is No.4.
  • In 1978 year, the ripe tea (Shou cha, fermented) became the top 1 on production quantity during each kind of tea. In that year, the total production was 1’389’850kg. During that, the green tea was 183’750kg, black tea was 370’150kg, puerh raw tea was 346’950kg and puerh ripe tea was 489’150kg.
  • In 1982 year, it was changed name again to “Meng Hai Tea Factory”.
  • In 1983 year, “Yunnan Thi Tse beeng” got the “High Quality Product” prize from both Yunnan province and National Business Department.
  • In 1984 year, Mr. Zou Bingliang became the 4th Director of Menghai tea factory. Mr. Zou is also the creator of “LaoTongZhi” brand and “Hai  Wan Tea factory” then.
  • in 1985 year, according to the request from HongKong NanTian Corporation, Meng Hai tea factory created another two kinds of series of 8582 (raw tea) and 8592 (ripe tea).
  • In 1988 year, Meng Hai tea factory opened up two new plantation in BA DA SHAN and BU LANG SHAN. Both of that are over 6 km² and they are very helpful on tea material supply from then on.  In the same year, “Meng Hai Tuo Cha” got the Silver Prize on “Panda Cup “National Nutritional Food Competition.
  • In 1989 year, “大益” (DA YI. English name as “TAE TEA”) as a trademark was registered successfully. From then on, Meng Hai tea factory started using it for promotion in domestic and abroad market.  This was also a response to “CHINA TUHSU” which ordered that every tea factory should pay for using of “中茶 zhong cha” brand on their own product.
  • In 1990 year, “Meng Hai Tuo Cha ” and “Puerh Square Tea” both got “Famous Product” prize from Yunnan province.
  • In 1992 year, “Gong Ting Puerh” (Palace Puerh) also got “Famous Product” prize from Yunnan province.
  • In 1993 year, Meng Hai tea factory made adjustment on ratio of each blend recipe.
  • In Jan. 1996 year, “Meng Hai Tea Corporation” was registered.
  • From 1996 to 1998 year, Mr. Lu Yun was the director.
  • From 1998 year to 2002 year, Ms. Ruan Dianrong was the director.
  • In 1999 year, Meng Hai tea factory got recognition on both “Green Food ” and “Organic Food”
  • From 2002 to 2004 year, Mr. Zheng Yue was the director. From 2000 year to 2004 year, Meng Hai tea factory produced many tea products and many of them were according to the request from dealer and even some were made from tea materials from dealer.  That caused another problem of separating Dayi tea from factory and dealer.
  • From Oct. 2004 year, Meng Hai tea factory was privatized and purchased by Yunnan BoWen Invest Corporation.
  • On Nov.25th, 2005 year, Meng Hai tea factory got recognition on “Food Production Quality Safety” which is also called “QS” mark.
  • From Jan.1st, Meng Hai tea factory started using “Anti-Counterfeiting” identification on whole lineup.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.